0
Comments
Computer Scanner Options For Aging Hardware

I find it troubling that a expensive scanner that still works is relegated to the trash due to nothing more than lack of updated drivers - forcing a new purchase.

Sure companies say that the hardware is "not compatible" with new operating systems, but is complete bull. Thankfully there are a few options to fix the "incompatibility" that is better known as abandoned driver updates.

I can understand some original scanners I've purchased that barely did 300 or 600 dpi (interpolated), used a printer port (25-pin ECP Parallel port), or had other strange issues from the 1990's are not going to work on new system hardware or Operating Systems.

However a scanner such as my Epson Perfection 2450 PHOTO (in my image above) that is USB 2.0, 2400 DPI, 48-bit, and a slew of advanced options to suddenly be abandoned after their Windows 7 (64-bit) driver is disturbing.

Did the scanner suddenly become obsolete in terms of DPI, USB 2.0 interface, or another feature in the jump from Windows 7 to Windows 8 in the scanner? Nope not even close - I only use 300 or 600 DPI, and only have USB 2.0 ports on my computer.

It is merely the typical reason any hardware is abandoned, that is my scanner got old and was a good time for them to force a new purchase. Hardware companies stay in business by selling hardware after all, and my scanner is from 2002.

Nothing new for sure, but rather common anymore as hardware has reached a point that they are still useful long after new hardware is available (and any real improvements are nearly unheard of).

Besides drivers another trick used is internal limits (perhaps even timers). Such as Canon printers use a waste tank/"ink absorber" and a internal page counter, when either reaches a preset amount the hardware errors out and is no longer functional. On older models a reset is hidden, but newer models can not be reset and becomes trash.

Manually Installing Drivers

The more common option many attempt is to find drivers themselves, and force a install - with varying results.

For example with my Epson Perfection 2450 PHOTO scanner I found explained how to use another set of Epson drivers (Epson Perfection 4990 PHOTO) to make my 2450 scanner work on Windows 8 and all the way up to Windows 10 version 1709 (32 or 64-bit) - yes I tried it successfully. Full guide from Jeremy Gollehon, but updated details in the other link.

Depending on your hardware and system, searching for such a solution can result in no help, as in other hardware I've had.

Another problem is even if you get it to properly work, a new Windows update (or whatever system) often forces you to reinstall it, and may very well end the scanner support again (perhaps permanently).

 

The Operating System

While downgrading (changing) your Operating System to a older one that is driver supported is possible, and will work without fault, it is drastic and likely not feasible.

My scanner's last supported system was Windows 7 (64-bit), so I could install Windows 7. The problem is some of my purchased commercial software requires Windows 8.1 or newer. Of course I am also in no urge to back-up everything and reinstall Windows (especially a older version) even though I do have a license to do so (another consideration).

Besides Windows I have ran Linux, many various distro's, and I know Linux supports my Epson scanner directly. The problem there is none of my commercial software would work, even with WINE (usually too problematic), so is not a real option.

A work around is to install two Windows systems on a single computer for a dual-boot, tutorial. Or do the same for a Linux distro such as Debian, tutorial (which in many distro's is a option when it is installed).

You may find that all fine and get it setup properly, but in the end that means you will have to reboot into another system anytime you want to use the scanner... Not a real great prospect.

The better option is to use a virtual machine such as Oracle's VM Virtualbox (free, open source).

Once installed and setup you can then install your Operating System (Windows) as normal on the machine, tutorial. As it is basically emulated, your computer needs to be rather robust, and installing a older system such as XP, Vista, or such are better options if the scanner supports them (if you have a disc and a license for the system) to help keep it running more smoothly.

Then whenever you want to use the scanner simply start Virtualbox and let that system boot-up, do the scanning, then close the system (and Virtualbox). No dual booting, switching systems, or such needed and works great at least for 32-bit Windows systems I've done.

VueScan Software

The best option for future-proof scanner use is the commercial software VueScan. It costs $39.95 for Standard with 1-year of updates, or $89.95 for Professional with lifetime updates (differences) - Standard vs Professional.

VueScan supports nearly any scanner, and is compatible with Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8.1, 10 - Mac OS X 10.3 or newer - and Linux (downloads).

Once installed it easily found my scanner and setup it's own drivers. Now I can access my scanner from any program that supports Import from a TWAIN source, or I can scan directly from the VueScan program shortcut - all within Windows 8.1 a system that my Epson scanner has no drivers for.

Not only can I now use my scanner, it has plenty of options to setup my scanner (see image above) to adjust what I need. Interestingly as mentioned in a review once installed there is no fumbling through individual scanner specific software or worrying about what is adjustable anymore - as VueScan will always be the same with any scanner.

Truly a great and easy option, and works amazingly fast too, but it is another program to buy. If you have a expensive scanner that has life left then it is well worth the price than replacing the scanner. It also gives the option of upgrading a scanner (even 2nd hand) knowing the scanner will work on the computer system without worrying about drivers.

Of course if your scanner is getting rough, or a new scanner is within the price range, then the next option below may be better.

Replacement

In the end depending on the scanner's specifications, age, condition, or even for piece of mind - replacing it with a new one is a valid option. You will need to ensure what Operating Systems it supports with it's drivers to avoid problems obviously.

Rather it is new from the store or used, ensure it meets your needs. A scanner that works on your system but is lacking in scan size, support, or options is not much of a replacement.

In that regard I got a free all-in-one printer/scanner when we upgraded the family printer to a new laser printer (Brother L2300D I highly recommend it). The all-in-one was replaced as it was the worst lemon of a printer we every had, a Canon PIXMA MG5520.

While the printer is horrible, the scanner is better at 2400 DPI (?), 48-bit, and works on Windows XP through to Windows 10. Plugging it into Windows 8.1 it installed default drivers and I was able to scan with the WIA import. Installing the Canon drivers from online it gave me a IJ Scan Utility (image above) which allows me to set many more options thankfully (but limits to 600 DPI). So while not a favorite, it will do as a back-up unit in case I need it.

The biggest problem with a replacement scanner is simple... It will eventually be outdated with a new Windows update or version, and will itself need replaced too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment